[rescue] What a load of...

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Sep 27 13:18:30 CDT 2007

" From: Dan Sikorski <me at dansikorski.com>
"
" I'd agree, they don't make 'em like they used to.  But in exchange, new
" cars are much lighter, they are much safer, have more power, go faster,
" are more fuel efficient, and handle better.

i won't dispute that cars today are safer and handle better, and that
they are more powerful - though i don't know why they need to be.

but my dad's '66 saab 96 weighed 1700 lbs; the '66 volvo 122, 2300;
the '71 saab 99, 2400; my '66 rambler american - a real 6-passenger
car - 2625.  and the rambler got 25mpg with a 1bbl carb and 3-speed
tranny.  i know; i put over 30000 miles on it.  i've heard folks with
the optional overdrive claim over 30mpg and i believe it.

my girlfriend's '01 jeep cherokee, very similar in size to my rambler,
weighs over 3000 lbs and gets 21mpg with fuel injection and a 4sp
lockup automatic.  the stick can supposedly manage 25.

" I'd also wonder,  1965-2007, when prices are adjusted for inflation, are
" cars getting cheaper or more expensive?  Anyone have some data on that?

this is a very interesting question!