[rescue] What a load of...

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Thu Sep 27 12:13:12 CDT 2007

    On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, Dan Sikorski wrote:

> They improved a lot! They have more cupholders, tv's, dvd players,
> airbags, all sorts of things that appeal to soccer moms.  That is,
> after all, who the minivans are marketed toward.  It's a family
> vehicle, and families are the ones who are buying most of them.

    I, as a single bloke and computer collector drove minivans for
20 years and over a half-million miles; nothing comes close to them
in terms of comfort and versatility.  It's really nice to be able
to shove a pair of six-foot racks into the back, close the hatch,
and still be comfortable driving halfway across a continent (did
that to pick up an Interdata Model 4 and a PDP8/I.

    Interestingly, my 1990 Grand Voyager got better mileage than the
Nissan 240SX I drive now -- and way better than a lot of vehicles
now do.  The low 30s were commonplace, even when hauling stuff.

    However, driving what amounts to a two-seater has cut back on the
number of machines I drag into the house, and that's probably had a
stabilising effect on my marriage.