[rescue] What a load of...

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Thu Sep 27 10:13:25 CDT 2007

Francois Dion wrote:
> But I see them loaded with stuff besides all the kids, and a roof box
> too... And with the gas tank full etc. Surely we are talking more than
> 1200lbs? Even with 5 people and some luggage, you can easily reach
> over 1000lbs without trying. At that kind of load, they typically are
> riding pretty low in the back.

Yeah.  I wouldn't, but plenty of people do.  Others use aerosol cans in
manners other than directed.  I'm sure if one of those people has an
accident and tries to sue the manufacturer because their minivan broke
in half that the manufacturer will quickly point out that the owners
manual clearly states the maximum weight capacity.
> The avalanche is a truck tough... What's a normal capacity for a full
> size pickup truck? 3000 lbs? I've asked around and several thought
> their pickups were only rated for 1500lbs in the bed, surely that cant
> be right.

A quick search makes it look like the Chevy Silverado and Ford F-150
have a weight capacity of about 1850lbs in their bed, almost a ton.
Seems like a lot to me.  I'm sure the bigger pickups have more capacity,
and multi-axle trailers definitely do.
> But my point was that if they are going to make "cars" that have less
> weight carrying capacity and can fit less people than cars from
> previous generations, that surely they must have improved in some
> other way, even if everything else stayed the same. I'd expect them to
> weigh less, have better fuel economy (>25 mpg) etc.

They improved a lot! They have more cupholders, tv's, dvd players,
airbags, all sorts of things that appeal to soccer moms.  That is, after
all, who the minivans are marketed toward.  It's a family vehicle, and
families are the ones who are buying most of them.

    -Dan Sikorski