[rescue] DG AViiON AV8500 info requested

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Mon Sep 17 16:17:27 CDT 2007

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, r.stricklin wrote:

> I have no direct experience with the AV8500, but no output on the
> console port is one of the failure modes indicative of a flat NVRAM
> battery.

    Lovely.  Just lovely.

    SGI did that, too -- Indigos refuse to boot if the RTC battery
is flat, and that's insanely annoying.

> I'd start by replacing that (save the old NVRAM, just in case it's
> something else).

    I'll have to see if one of the chaps that's local to Providence
will be willing to pull the board, lift the daughter-card that has
one of the secondary-channel SCSI controllers on it, and eyeball the
RTC chip (It's a SGS Thompson, so it should be available) for the
part number so I can order one and install it next month.

    {sigh}

    Thanks for the pointer.