[rescue] Ultra 5 NVRAM problems, boot command = bggt

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Fri Sep 14 13:29:32 CDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 01:16:01PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> From: John Edwards <john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk>
>> Where about is the Openboot held?
>> Can it be upgraded without access to an OS?

> OpenBoot needs to function *enough* to get the OpenBoot update
> started. Typically it is run from the system disk, but I suspect
> (but do not know) if you could run it off the CD-ROM drive (since
> all the OpenBoot does is reach out to a bootable device and grab the
> referenced file and execute it).

Without hard disk, CDROM or network the only thing left is the
floppy drive. I've only done one OpenBoot update and that was
on an Ultra 1 about 7 years ago.

> Good luck - are Ultra 5 systems hard to find in the UK? They are
> pretty plentiful back here in the colonies - maybe a forklift
> upgrade is in order...

There plenty of spare Sun machines around (under US$100), I just
passed up on a couple of Ultra 5 a few weeks ago. I was trying to
find out what's wrong for the next time this happens to me or
anyone else.

I guess there is also a bit of sentimental value.

Have to go to watch the Rugby now, but back tomorrow.

Thanks to all those that have helped.

| A. Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion |
| Q. Why is top posting bad ?                             |