[rescue] Help with V210 rescue

Ahmed Ewing aewing at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 10:48:48 CDT 2007

On 9/14/07, Zach Lowry <zach at zachlowry.net> wrote:
> I just got a Fire V210, rescued from a friend. I get the following
> when I power it up. For some reason, I feel like it should be
> possible to fix this system. I've tried removing CPUs and Memory, to
> no avail. Any ideas from anyone on the list on how to make this
> system work? I've yet to bring it up to the OBP, it always just drops
> me into the debugger.
>
> Thanks.
>

> ALOM BOOTMON v1.5.1
> ALOM Build Release: 001
> Reset register: e0000000 EHRS ESRS LLRS
>

> ALOM POST 1.0
>

> Dual Port Memory Test, PASSED.
>
> TTY External - Internal Loopback Test
> TTY External - Internal Loopback Test, PASSED.
>
> TTYC - Internal Loopback Test
> TTYC - Internal Loopback Test, PASSED.
>
> TTYD - Internal Loopback Test
> TTYD - Internal Loopback Test, PASSED.
>
> Memory Data Lines Test
> Memory Data Lines Test, PASSED.
>
> Memory Address Lines Test
>    Slide address bits to test open address lines
>    Test for shorted address lines
> Memory Address Lines Test, PASSED.
>
> Memory Parity Test
> Memory Parity Test, PASSED.
>
> Boot Sector FLASH CRC Test
> Boot Sector FLASH CRC Test, PASSED.
>

> Return to Boot Monitor for Handshake
> ALOM POST 1.0
>     Status = 00007fff
>
> Returned from Boot Monitor and Handshake
>

> Clearing Memory Cells
> Memory Clean Complete

> SC Alert: SC System booted.
>
> ALOM - POST run incomplete previously, no POST this time
>
> ALOM BOOTMON v1.5.1
> ALOM Build Release: 001
> Reset register: e0000000 EHRS ESRS LLRS
>

> Check for Handshake
>

> Returned from Boot Monitor and Handshake
>

> Clearing Memory Cells
> Memory Clean Complete

> SC Alert: SC System booted.
>
> SC Alert: Host System has Reset
>

> Sun(tm) Advanced Lights Out Manager 1.5.1 (hostname)
>

> VxDiag not performed.
>
> Enter #. to return to ALOM.
> 1>
> 1>ERROR: TEST = Power on Reset Initialization
> 1>H/W under test = Motherboard, CPU (system initialization)
> 1>Repair Instructions: Replace items in order listed by 'H/W under
> test' above.
> 1>MSG = ERROR: Slave timeout waiting for 0 to finish, offlining cpu!
> 1>END_ERROR
>
> 1>Start Selftest.....
> 1>
> 1>ERROR: TEST =
> 1>H/W under test = Motherboard, CPU (system initialization)
> 1>Repair Instructions: Replace items in order listed by 'H/W under
> test' above.
> 1>MSG =
>

>          ERROR:2 AFSR Error 00020000.00040000, AFAR 00000000.00000000.
>

> 1>END_ERROR
>
> 1>
> 1>ERROR: TEST =
> 1>H/W under test = Motherboard, CPU (system initialization)
> [...]

The POST output above is consistent with a motherboard failure
manifesting itself as what appears to be a hung CPU. If you look in
the error string, the order of parts to go after is itemized within
it; the motherboard is indicated before the CPU, so that would explain
why your partswapping attempts have not yet solved the issue. This
might also explain why the previous owner was willing to part with it
:-)

Even though it doesn't appear to be a CPU issue, the designated FRU
for support purposes would actually be the motherboard assembly with
CPU(s). Sadly, this isn't a part that's particularly cheap yet, as the
V210 hasn't yet been EOL'ed by Sun (pre-RoHS version notwithstanding).

Hope that helps,

-A