[rescue] Looking for Cisco 7000 FEIPs

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 09:22:30 CDT 2007

Patrick Finnegan wrote:

>>> You don't want the FEIP.  You want the VIP2-50 and the PA-FE-TX.
>>> Trust me.
>>>
>>> It won't even cost that much.  Just make sure your VIP2-50 has at
>>> least 64MB RAM.  128 (the max) would be a good idea.
>> Well, it looks like I've actually got a VIP2(-40?) and an FEIP,
>> without modules.  I wasn't sure what they were, and they have no
>> modules in them.  So, I want some PA-FE-TX's I guess?  Are those the
>> same between FEIP and the VIP2's?
>
> I've verified, and it seems those are what I have.  Unfortunately, the
> FEIP also looks like it got run over with a forklift, and is unlikely
> to be able to be made functional (but at least I can pull the ram out
> of it).

Ok.  Like I said, the FEIP sucks anyway.

> One of the separate boards I got also is an RSP7000s, but it looks like
> I need a second board (RSP7000CI?) to be able to use it.

Yes, you need the chassis interface board.  I'm really surprised you
didn't get one.

It shouldn't be too difficult to find anyway.

> I think I'd be happy at this point to just come up with an FEIP, so I'm
> not limited to 10Mb ethernet on it.

You should be able to buy a VIP2-50 and a PA-FE-TX for less than $40
combined.

>>> Do the 7000s have the RSP7000 or the RP+SP/SSP?  If it's running an
>>> RP, I *highly* recommend getting an RSP7000.  It would be required
>>> for use with a VIP2 anyway.
>> RP+SSP I think, but I haven't looked closely at all of the 7000s yet.
>> All I want (right now) is something that'll let me connect FDDI and
>> ATM nets to my ethernet network, and work better than (read: at all)
>> when I tried to shove a DEFPA in a Linux box and use it as router.  I
>> never figured I'd see a K7 box with that high of CPU load, only
>> routing the small number of packets that actually got through.
>
> So, why do I want the RSP over the RP+SSP?  I'm not much concerned with
> speed, or using the thing as anything otehr than a ATM/FDDI/TR to
> ethernet router, for now.

You should be concerned with speed in this instance.  Even if you get
Fast Ethernet working, you won't be able to go appreciably faster than
10Mbps speed anyway using an RP.  The RSP can *easily* push 100Mbps.
Almost 200Mbps.

Peace...  Sridhar