[rescue] Looking for Cisco 7000 FEIPs

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Thu Sep 13 20:33:32 CDT 2007

On Wednesday 12 September 2007 15:29, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 September 2007, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> > Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> > > I picked up a few Cisco 7000s (with only minor straining;) a few
> > > days ago, and am looking for some Fast Ethernet interface
> > > processors for it.
> > >
> > > I'd like to get the copper version, I don't have a lot of use for
> > > 100Base-FX :)
> >
> > You don't want the FEIP.  You want the VIP2-50 and the PA-FE-TX.
> > Trust me.
> >
> > It won't even cost that much.  Just make sure your VIP2-50 has at
> > least 64MB RAM.  128 (the max) would be a good idea.
>
> Well, it looks like I've actually got a VIP2(-40?) and an FEIP,
> without modules.  I wasn't sure what they were, and they have no
> modules in them.  So, I want some PA-FE-TX's I guess?  Are those the
> same between FEIP and the VIP2's?

I've verified, and it seems those are what I have.  Unfortunately, the
FEIP also looks like it got run over with a forklift, and is unlikely
to be able to be made functional (but at least I can pull the ram out
of it).

One of the separate boards I got also is an RSP7000s, but it looks like
I need a second board (RSP7000CI?) to be able to use it.

I think I'd be happy at this point to just come up with an FEIP, so I'm
not limited to 10Mb ethernet on it.

> > Do the 7000s have the RSP7000 or the RP+SP/SSP?  If it's running an
> > RP, I *highly* recommend getting an RSP7000.  It would be required
> > for use with a VIP2 anyway.
>
> RP+SSP I think, but I haven't looked closely at all of the 7000s yet.
> All I want (right now) is something that'll let me connect FDDI and
> ATM nets to my ethernet network, and work better than (read: at all)
> when I tried to shove a DEFPA in a Linux box and use it as router.  I
> never figured I'd see a K7 box with that high of CPU load, only
> routing the small number of packets that actually got through.

So, why do I want the RSP over the RP+SSP?  I'm not much concerned with
speed, or using the thing as anything otehr than a ATM/FDDI/TR to
ethernet router, for now.

Pat