[rescue] Looking for Cisco 7000 FEIPs

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Thu Sep 13 10:01:27 CDT 2007

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Dan Sikorski wrote:
>
>> What module would i need?  The only gigabit modules that i've seen for
>> the 5000/5500 are fiber, not copper.  Although, i'll bet i would need to
>> upgrade my supervisor card to do it either one.  I wouldn't mind a
>> performance hit from the backplane as long as it can do gigabit between
>> the gigabit ports on the module.
>>

> They're all fiber on paper.  I'm going to try using a third-party TX
> GBIC.  I'll let you know if it works.
>
> Anyway, if it doesn't work, one could always use media converters.  It's
> another performance hit, but still faster than 100Mbps ethernet.  In my
> case, the other option would be to put fiber cards in my machines.

I guess i haven't looked at this stuff for a while, and apparently, i
never looked into it enough to realize that all of the gigabit modules
have GBIC slots.  A quick ebay search reveals that 5505's even with
newer supervisor cards have become stupid cheap, so that's really not an
issue.  WS-X5403 and WS-X5410s aren't even too bad on ebay right now.
I'd rather avoid media converters, as they get messy.  I don't mind
using fiber cards in some machines, but others, particularly the laptop,
don't really have that option.  I'd be very interested in what you find
out with the TX GBICs, particularly if you have a source for them at low
prices.

That said, gigabit networking is way overkill for my home network
anyway, most of my machines can't saturate FDDI.  By the time i get
enough machines at home to justify it, I'll bet all of this stuff will
be so cheap that it will be a no brainer, which is good since right now
i have no money for any of it anyway.

    -Dan Sikorski