[rescue] U2 CPU's (was Re: advice saught)

Curious George jorge234q at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 18:31:44 CDT 2007

--- Mark Brown <sunrescue at marknmel.com> wrote:

> Curious George wrote:
> > Speaking of which...  What's the fastest CPUs
> > I can stuff in a U2?  I have a pair of 450MHz/4MB
> > CPUs (from a U60 or maybe a E420?)
> >
> I have dual-400's and 2 gig ram in my U2 (works
> great!).  Just be sure
> to update the firmware before installing the 400
> cpu's.

Yeah, but these are 450's.  :<

> Lionel sent this link out just a message or two ago
> - for U2 firmware...

http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-21-104169-08-1

Thanks!

> The only problem with an ultra-2 is the onboard scsi
> is a little slow, especially if you disk mirroring.

The U2 is primarily used to support a Sun Video and
some other SBUS cruft.  Any "real work" I do on
a U60 or on this funky Tatung box (SS1000? clone)

> You are better to use a couple of nice external disk
> chassis with a couple of sunswift cards.
>
> The 450's won't work as they have a heat sink on
> both sides, and won't physically fit (afaik)

Ah, I will have to check that, as well -- though a
speed.

Thanks!