[rescue] U2 CPU's (was Re: advice saught)

Mark Brown sunrescue at marknmel.com
Sat Sep 8 13:59:11 CDT 2007

Curious George wrote:
> Speaking of which...  What's the fastest CPUs
> I can stuff in a U2?  I have a pair of 450MHz/4MB
> CPUs (from a U60 or maybe a E420?)

I have dual-400's and 2 gig ram in my U2 (works great!).  Just be sure
to update the firmware before installing the 400 cpu's.

Lionel sent this link out just a message or two ago - for U2 firmware...

http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-21-104169-08-1

The only problem with an ultra-2 is the onboard scsi is a little slow, especially if you disk mirroring.
You are better to use a couple of nice external disk chassis with a couple of sunswift cards.

The 450's won't work as they have a heat sink on both sides, and won't physically fit (afaik)

/M