[rescue] Looking for a few used cisco 7940 phones

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Sun Nov 25 15:42:34 CST 2007

Most people call that "some old standard" to be "Cisco prestandard PoE".
 I call it "Cisco proprietary", since the only way to get PoE switches
that will support it is through Cisco.

BTW, All Cisco 7960 and 7940 VoIP phones can use either the Cisco
proprietary "standard" or standardized 802.3af PoE.

I've got about 30 Cisco 7960 phones at the office and I've powered them
with Linksys PoE switches (specicially a SRW208P), Nortel PoE switches
(I think it was a BayStack 460-PWR), and (naturally) Cisco PoE switches.

If a 79[46]0 doesn't work with a switch that conforms to 802.3af then
either the switch is bad somehow or there's some weird midspan vs
endspan incompatibility.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com