[rescue] Statmux as console server?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Fri Mar 16 14:57:32 CDT 2007

hi,

I have two very nice, sturdily constructed MultiTech MMH904C
statistical multiplexers. The case is made of steel, sturdy plastic
front and back, and bright LEDs - many blinkenlights for each channel.

They have 8 DB25 serial ports apiece in additional to a serial console
for configuring the unit, plus serial, modem, RS232/V35 ports for
configuring whatever kind of outbound connection you want.

Is there a way to configure this as a console server so that I can hook
up a bunch of Sun machines to the serial ports, then have one serial
port (probably with a null modem) go to a host machine connected via
Ethernet (then allow access to the serial ports via SSH login)?

I guess I am making the assumption that there is some way to connect
each statmux port as a separate tty device?

It *looks* like there is a way to do this, but I am not sure. It seems
that in some cases, a "proprietary HDLC" is used as the protocol, but
that appears only in the reference of one type of connection.

MMH900 series manual:
http://www.multitech.com/DOCUMENTS/Collateral/manuals/S000315A.pdf

Any help most appreciated.

Cordially