[rescue] Sun Ultra 1 Creator 3D - Power On Problems

Ronald Gilchrist unixrescue at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 01:17:45 CST 2007

Hi all,

I recently rescued a Sun Ultra 1 Creator 3D from being thrown out. After
bringing it home, and having a look inside (256 MB RAM, 9GB Disk, CD-ROM,
Floppy a 13W3 graphics card and an extra SCSI + 10/100 NIC SBUS card) I
tried to power it up.

The CPU, PSU and Disk fans all spin up, for about 5 seconds and then spin
down. If I "power the machine off" and then "power it on" it does the same.
The power light flickered initially, but I don't see it anymore.

Is this machine likely to be dead? Is it stopping because it doesn't have a
keyboard / mouse pulgged it? Could it be the lithium battery in the TOC is
dead and so is the machine (ie a new TOC would bring it back to life)?

I've switched the serial ports to RS-232 (they were in their RS-432 default
state) and I plan to connect it up to an x86 linux box just as soon as I
find a F<->M 25-pin adapter, but in the mean time, I'd like to know, should
I bother?

UR