[rescue] Wanted: 133MHz DIMMS

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Wed Mar 7 10:08:23 CST 2007

" From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
"
" On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 10:13:24AM -0500, Sandwich Maker wrote:
" > mine is an early desktop with a rev1 prom.  it's technically pc66
" > though it can be jumpered to various speeds.  sadly, the chips will do
" > pc100 but they don't bring the relevant pin to a jumper block...
"
" That may be a problem then. If it's PC66, then PC100 or PC133 may not
" work. I have an Intel motherboard that uses PC66 RAM and it refuses
" to work with PC100 or PC133. I actually get a message on the screen
" that the RAM is the wrong speed.
"
" Some PC100 RAM will work at the slower speed, some won't.

never heard that before...  a little surprised they're -that-
critical.

" I've never
" tried PC133, but the refresh may be too slow and data will fall off......

some pc133 is 'high density', some is 'low density'; afaik the
difference is the # of bits in the refresh counter.  low density is
pc100 compatible and as i understood, pc66 also.
--
speaking of which, i've long known of 256M pc100/133 sticks,
essentially 128M on both sides.  but i was recently in a pc store