[rescue] packing options for ultra 60

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 5 06:57:21 CST 2007

>From: Dimitar Vasilev <dimitar.vassilev at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/03/04 Sun PM 04:12:50 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [rescue] packing options for ultra 60

>Hi all,
>can anyone from around CZ recommend packing options for an ultra 60?
>I'm having a hard-time finding proper size carton boxes from ikea/hornbach/
etc.
>The one I had was destroyed from my neighbours while i as attempting
>to get a key from my landlord to store it safely.
>I will try again tomorrow get a decent scrap box, but a hint where to
>look would be handy.
>My idea is  to look for surplus boxes in pc shops, supermarkets,
>stores for white goods.
>Thanks in advance.

Small businesses that buy servers from vendors like Dell, HP, etc... The
Ultra 60 is bigger than many current PCs (I think), and it certainly weighs
more than most.

If you do have to buy a box, I'd recommend buying a 2 foot x 2 foot x 2 foot
box (pretty common in the US, I'm sure there is something similar in your
area), ensure there are a few inches of foam packing peanuts on each side
(including top and bottom), and that you somehow ensure that the peanuts in
the bottom can't shift and let the U60 sink to the bottom of the box. I've
used a seperate trash bag to hold the peanuts that make up the bottom layer,
saling it up, putting the U60 in another trash bag, then fill the rest of the
space up with peanuts. If size is an issue, you can cut the sides of the box
down so that the height is the thickness of the U60  plus 4-6 inches in
packing peanuts.

That said, a U60 is VERY solid, and minimal packaging should be required, but
better to be safe than to lose the machine to damage in transit and pray for
an insurance claim, IMHO.

Lionel