[rescue] CD ROM Server

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon Jul 30 04:29:54 CDT 2007

On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 04:05:29PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
[...]
> I remember buying an "upgradeable" ALR EISA 386 desktop PC. Then going to
> upgrade it about a year later to a 486 and finding that the cost of the
> new 486 CPU daughtercard to upgrade it was $200 less than buying a brand
> new ALR EISA 486 tower machine, and didn't include L2 cache. Bait and
> switch... yeah, technically you COULD upgrade it, but it made zero
> technical or financial sense to do so.

Mind you, in those days the CPU was a good amount of the cost of the
machine, and once you throw in the glue logic and engineering to get a 486
into the existing design, the price is explainable if not actually
forgivable.

These days, you can pick up a quad core CPU for about 130 quid which is just
silly (and had me drooling slightly).