[rescue] Big Iron available in/near Minneapolis

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Jul 29 15:58:42 CDT 2007

>From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
>Date: 2007/07/29 Sun AM 08:05:37 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Big Iron available in/near Minneapolis

>On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 03:23:29PM -0700, r.stricklin wrote:
>

>> I'm a (not so old) VM sysprog... or at least for as long as I can
>> keep from being outsourced, anyway.
>
>Wow, I had not realized that it had was still in use. Does CMS still
>exist? Edgar? REXX (relative latecomer)? Does CMS still not have
>directories?

Not that long ago (well, maybe it was a while now that I think of it) I supported an IBM internal application that was written in REXX, accessed SQL/DS databases and ran on a VM machine. IIRC, they ran a seperate VM machine for each service center (it managed centers that custom configured PC/POS terminals for overnight delivery to customer locations) because they couldn't improve the memory handling and performance issues as the application scaled up.

IBM had to bring in an outside SQL/DS (IIRC) consultant to "fix" their database accesses/storage - in one week he made the application 300% faster (IIRC)...

>I always confound people because my C and PERL code look like my REXX
>code which looks like my PL/I code, which DOES NOT look like my
>BAL code. :-)

I never picked up REXX, but I'm sure it's still running, esp. in odd OS/2 applications...

Lionel