[rescue] Psion Series 3 systems

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Sun Jul 29 19:11:37 CDT 2007

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2007, Mike Meredith wrote:

> Ouch! Psion used to be pretty good about repairing such faults but
> you're too late by 2 years and 2 months :(

    That's the story of my life.  But I get by.

> Just found that Shift+Ctrl+E may exit the Time application.

    That one doesn't work on the individual I have, sadly.  Thanks,
though, for the idea.  (There *has* to be a key-combo to get out
of the ruddy thing.)

> There is a *lot* of information on Psions and OPL out there. OPL
> incidentally isn't quite dead ... it's available as freeware for
> some Symbian devices (although not my new E90 dammit).

    Actually, if anyone on the list reads "The Register" out of the
UK, they recently did a great article on Psion and their "near miss"
of being one of the "real players".

> Lovely PDAs ... my first PDA was a Psion3, and upgraded from that to a
> Psion3c then a Psion 5 (with the original peeling rubber case).

    "The Wife" bought the Psion 3 sometime in the early '90s, and, to
be perfectly honest, I slagged off on it at the time (which she
delights in pointing out to this day!) because of its diminutive
form factor.  Well, that was my mistake!  They're really very nice
machines.  I fired my sample off yesterday (after replacing the
completely flat double-A batteries) and it still had my Massbus
hardware notes from 1999 *intact*!

> My colleague even has the earlier PsionII ... dating back to the
> 1980s.  And another colleague still uses her Psion3.

    How's the hinge standing up?