[rescue] 1-2-3 for Solaris WAS: Lotus 1-2-3 for DOS

Steven M Jones smj+rescue at crash.com
Sat Jul 28 23:31:31 CDT 2007

Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 10:29:48PM -0500, Jerry Kemp wrote:
>
>> Has anyone saved or archived a copy of 1-2-3 for Sun Solaris?
>>

> I didn't even know they MADE a version for Solaris or SunOS.  I know
> about Adobe Photoshop for IRIX, I had WordPerfect for UNIX, but I never
> heard of Lotus 1-2-3 for UNIX systems.

Yeah, I had to support 1-2-3 for SPARC for a while in 1992. There was
another spreadsheet that the body shop I worked for (Fusion Systems
Group) had hacked up some sort of database and/or real-time market data
connector for, sold, and supported... and the name of said product just
escapes me.

Anyway, 1-2-3 for SPARC was kindof cool in that it allowed you to pull
data -- like equities market data -- in realtime. From a press release
announcing Lotus 1-2-3 for Sun SPARC Systems version 1.1:

"This new version also supports X Windows and Lotus Realtime, a
sophisticated technology that feeds real-time financial data directly
into 1-2-3. Lotus Realtime is intended to enable financial traders,
portfolio managers and analysts in investment and commercial banks,
brokerage houses, and money management firms to use real-time data in a
spreadsheet environment when making investment decisions."

(Source:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NEW/is_1991_June_13/ai_10844220)

Photoshop was made available on Solaris 2.x, IIRC. WordPerfect was
available on VMS as well as several flavors of Unix.

But sorry Jerry, I don't have copies of any of this stuff. Framemaker
4/5 for SPARC, maybe, but it's submerged deep in storage...

--Steve.