[rescue] Big Iron available in/near Minneapolis

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 20:29:55 CDT 2007

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> BTW, I've never even been to Poughkeepsie, the closest I got was
>> Glenn's Falls. (To see an IBM check sorter).
>
> I drove through Poughkipsie last weekend and noticed what appears to

You should have come by!  I was around.  Next time you're coming
through, shoot me an email.

> be the highest antenna I've ever seen! It was atop a 100-150 foot
> tower on top of the highest mountain in the area - anyone know what
> it was? The guy wire array must have been staggering...

If it's Mount Beacon, it's a bunch of powerful FM radio stations, and
the local emergency services' long-distance repeater.

And yes, its guywires are pretty extreme.  I used to go up there back in
high-school.

> I always wish I'd seen the AT&T antenna farm here in Hopewell, NJ -
> they had a sideband service that connected mariners with landlines
> for exorbitant rates, and they were driven out of business by cell
> phones (for close-in phone service) and satellite (for wide-open seas
> coverage).... From what I heard it was quite impressive - massive 160
> Meter half-wave dipoles strung on telephone poles on the hill tops...

Peace...  Sridhar