[rescue] Fast MBus modules (was Re: Big Iron available in/near Minneapolis)

Steven M Jones smj+rescue at crash.com
Sat Jul 28 15:14:37 CDT 2007

Michael-John Turner wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 07:38:46AM -0400, Steve Sandau wrote:
>
>> Speaking of SC2Ks, I found a couple of CPUs labeled "85MHz 2MB" in my
>> Sun box at work. As I recall from earlier CPU cache discussions on this
>> list, the SC2K is the only machine that will use all the cache.
>>

> Indeed, the SC2K is AFAIK the only machine that'll use all the cache on the
> SM81-2. They will work in SS20s (and possibly other MBus-module accepting
> machines), but with only 1MiB of the cache in use. Oh, and they'll run damn
> hot in an Aurora chassis too :)

I picked up a pair of SM91-2's on eBay years ago. They do indeed work in
an SS20 -- for a while. Then I think the heat catches up with them...
Every time I installed them (I must've tried singles and pairs) it would
be fine, I'd go do something else, and I'd come back to a locked up machine.

I need an SS1000E for a full set of SM81's & 2GB of RAM that I have. I
wonder what it would do with the 95MHz modules... All in storage, so
it'll be a while before I find out.

--S.