[rescue] fastest Ultra 5 marketed by Sun?

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Sun Jul 22 18:05:55 CDT 2007

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> I can offer no explanation other than that I was running a 160GB disk in
> an Ultra 10 running OpenBSD, and had the disk completely full[0].  I
> never saw any of the classic symptoms of the 128GB limit.

Some operating systems handle it better than others - I have some PCs
running Linux where the BIOS won't see past 64GB of disk space with a
200GB drive, but the full capacity is available once Linux is booted.

It stands to reason that Suns are the same way - without an OpenBoot
update OpenBoot won't see more than xGB (IIRC it was 20GB or so) of disk
space, therefore your boot sector must be within that first xGB; on top
of that the IDE drivers in older Solaris versions don't support LBA48.

An U5 (or U10 or Blade 100/150) with a 200GB IDE drive running Solaris
10 (or a recent Linux or *BSD) and the latest OpenBoot won't have any
trouble... as long as your boot sector is within the first 128GB ;)

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com