[rescue] fastest Ultra 5 marketed by Sun?

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 17:43:37 CDT 2007

On 21 Jul 2007, at 21:34, Robert Darlington wrote:

> So what are the motivations for running something like an Ultra 5 or
> 10 as compared to an Ultra 2?  The most obvious feature of the U2 is
> that they use two CPUs.  What do the U5 and 10 have going for them?
> (Certainly not IDE! -hehehehe).  I remember my old employer was
> tossing the U2 systems not realizing that they were dual CPU systems
> and were keeping the U10 systems.

U5s are cheap (for a reason) and make a decent first system to get
you into Sun gear. They have few real idiosyncrasies compared to the
U2 so they aren't to confusing for first timers. I certainly was
impressed enough with my U5 and Solaris 10 (after a couple of RAM
upgrades) to buy a U60 and have a proper Sun to play with. Also
finding components like hard disks and DVD drives for them is much
easier if you don't know the sorts of channels to ask on to get the
SCSI ones.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: