[rescue] fastest Ultra 5 marketed by Sun?

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 11:34:11 CDT 2007

On 21 Jul 2007, at 16:27, James Hartley wrote:

> On 7/21/07, Lord Doomicus <lorddoomicus at mac.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 21, 2007, at 8:58 AM, Michael-John Turner wrote:
>>> I think the U5 only officially supported up to 400Mhz CPUs, but
>>> there's no problem using the 440Mhz models (which were only
>>> officially supported in U10s). The main issue would just be
>>> cooling - as I'm sure you know, the U5 and U10 use exactly the
>>> same mainboard.
>>
>> My Ultra5 actually has the 440Mhz CPU and 1 Gig of ram in it.  To get
>> the Gig of ram to fit, I did have to pull out the floppy drive.
>>
>> You do need to make sure you have the latest firmware updates on the
>> Ultra5 or it may not work.
>
> Thank you both for your responses.  From what I have found, 3.31 was
> the last flash update released:
>
> http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/advsearch.do?
> collection=PATCH&type=collections&queryKey5=106121&toDocument=yes
>
> Does this match your findings?

I've also done this. Upgraded the BootPROM to v 3.31 and replaced the
stock 333MHz CPU with the 440MHz out of a U10. It makes a tidy little
box of tricks, esp. if you sling in a Sun Symbios SCSI card and a
couple of hard disks.

Ultimately I still wasn't happy with that, or a U10 with the same
setup. I ended up getting a U60 because Solaris really does benefit
from SCSI and Dual CPUs, and U60s are not that expensive anymore.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>