[rescue] fastest Ultra 5 marketed by Sun?

Lord Doomicus lorddoomicus at mac.com
Sat Jul 21 09:49:31 CDT 2007

On Jul 21, 2007, at 8:58 AM, Michael-John Turner wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 11:55:10PM -0700, James Hartley wrote:
>> SunSolve claims that Ultra 5's were as fast as 400MHz, but wasn't
>> there traffic some time back on this mailing list of those saying
>> that
>> they received U5's with 440MHz CPU's?
>
> I think the U5 only officially supported up to 400Mhz CPUs, but
> there's no
> problem using the 440Mhz models (which were only officially
> supported in
> U10s). The main issue would just be cooling - as I'm sure you know,
> the U5
> and U10 use exactly the same mainboard.

My Ultra5 actually has the 440Mhz CPU and 1 Gig of ram in it.  To get
the Gig of ram to fit, I did have to pull out the floppy drive.

You do need to make sure you have the latest firmware updates on the
Ultra5 or it may not work.

I did these upgrades last December, and like most Sun hardware, it
just keeps on running.

- Derrik

Derrik Walker v2.0, RHCE
lorddoomicus at mac.com
http://www.doomd.net

 Its the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs!