[rescue] SCSI DVD drives

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Jul 11 05:44:02 CDT 2007

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 12:26:37PM +0200, Clemson, Chris wrote:
[...]
> Well true, that would be simplest option - in fact I bought a SATA DVDRW
> drive and controller, but adding any more I/O cards results in not being
> able to boot off my SCSI card, which is a shame.

*This* is one of those really nasty corners of the misdesigned PC boot
process, and affects my Frankencomputer that I fortunately don't use all
that often. IIRC, PC BIOS only seems to allow for an IDE and a SCSI disk
controller. Since the motherboard already has IDE, add-in cards have to
fight to be SCSI. That the add-in card is actually IDE is moot, it pretends
to be SCSI so that it is bootable.

Which card wins depends on bus order, so you can just swap the cards to make
the SCSI bootable once more.