[rescue] SCSI DVD drives

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Jul 11 05:23:08 CDT 2007

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 12:05:24PM +0200, Clemson, Chris wrote:
> It's not just the software that checks, the drive checks too.
> It doesn't need to be a writer, it's just that the IDE channels on my
> motherboard have crap performance under XP (seems to be dodgy AMD
> drivers for my old Tyan motherboard - was fine ok under Win2000).
> Thanks,

I use AnyDVD which acts as a device driver and does the CSS decoding
and decrypting in software on your PC. You can download a demo if you
want to try it.

I don't know about SCSI, but it works for USB and IDE, I don't see why
it won't work for SCSI.

If  you just want to play them the Windows ports of mplayer and VLC
work fine. They also decrypt the disks on the fly.

You can copy and decrypt a DVD on the fly with DVD Fab, the reader
part is demoware. There also is DVD decrypter which is no longer
available, but can be found easily. (Macrovision bought it).

Note that mplayer and VLC may have trouble with RCE (region code
enhanced) DVD's. There were a total of about 10 of them because it
turned out you could defeat it on a regular DVD player with the remote
control. The only one of note was Gladiator.

It might also be cheaper to buy a new IDE controller card and turn
off the ones on your motherboard.

Check to make sure DMA is turned on, and it works, sometimes it is off
by default.

Considering the cost of SCSI, it might be cheaper to buy a USB 2 card
and a USB to IDE adaptor case. Hint, don't plug any USB 1 devices
into the card. The same with firewire, but they are more expensive
and harder to find.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838