[rescue] SCSI DVD drives

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Jul 11 05:18:01 CDT 2007

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 12:05:24PM +0200, Clemson, Chris wrote:
[...]
>> Good luck. It's probably better to just avoid player software that checks
>> the region in the first place.
> It's not just the software that checks, the drive checks too.

The drive only checks if that is the way the software decrypts the data.
Commercial players try a handshake with the drive to get a decryption key,
and the drive won't play ball if the region is wrong. FOSS players just
crack the crypto and to hell with the handshake.

> It doesn't need to be a writer, it's just that the IDE channels on my
> motherboard have crap performance under XP (seems to be dodgy AMD drivers
> for my old Tyan motherboard - was fine ok under Win2000). Thanks,

It might be useful and cheaper to just spend a few quid on an PCI IDE card.
I've got a few in the junkbox that could probably use a new home. (Hurry up:
I'm waiting for good weather and then they're behing chavcycled.)