[rescue] Memory usage (was: Needed: Older laptops)

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Jul 7 23:57:46 CDT 2007

Thu, 05 Jul 2007 @ 11:09 -0500, Doug McLaren said:

> | FF and Thunderbird both leak like a Louisiana levee.
>
> Oh, so they work fine 99.9% of the time, but when things get really
> bad, they fail catastrophically?  Or was it just a poor analogy?

The analogy is perfect, you just thought I was referring to their
rupture during a hurricane, and I wasn't.

Originally I was going to say "like the M&M Tunnel", but few people
would know what I meant then.

Anyway...

Lousiana's levees have never been great, and require pumping stations
even when things are going well.

Likewise where I live... some of our tunnels are very good, others
require huge pumps running 24/7 to keep them from flooding to road
level.  No, that's not a design feature.

> Let's see, doing it myself right now vs. can't be done ... which
> should I believe?

Why not both?

It doesn't work for me or for anyone I know, and didn't work on over 50
different systems I tested it on at one shop where I worked.

Despite that, I'm willing to accept what you say.

If it is working for you, be happy.

For what it is worth, the new release of Firefox on my system, can't
remember which, usually says below 300MB now. Usually, for a few hours
anyway.

--
shannon           | An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto