[rescue] How I started, was Re: fire v210 upgrade

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Thu Jul 5 06:32:16 CDT 2007

    On Wed, 4 Jul 2007, Steven M Jones wrote:

> Well in part I blame a LINC that was retired-in-situ at my
> prep school.

    Nice!  LINCs are cool beasts, and for what they were desgned
to do they were almost unbeatable.  I don't have any "hands in"
experience on original LINCs, but do have quite a bit with PDP-12s
and LINC-Eights.  These things were in active use until the late
'90s at their original tasks -- a pretty good run for machines
designed in the 1960s!

> While working at MIT in 1990 I got a support call from somebody
> in one of the labs. Seems they'd been given a VAX-11/730 to use
> as a personal machine earlier in the year [...]

    My first exposure to the 11/730 was in 1983, and my initial
notion of the thing was, "That'd make a really nice personal
machine."  They're slower than death, unfortunately, but at least
one got UNIBUS goodness with them which the later machines lacked.