[rescue] Sun announces DST patch availablity...

David Muran-de Assereto dmuran at tuad.org
Tue Jan 30 19:28:20 CST 2007

On Jan 30, 2007, at 6:34 PM, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> <snip>
> if they're preloading the systems, it's entirely possible they could
> use the old driver with a newer kernel, though they'd have to hack the
> installation script accordingly.

They won't do that because it's not a "supported configuration". DoD
CM rules forbid it.

> " Government-sponsored development and procurement are severely broken
> " for information tech.
>
> there can be other issues.  i just helped a friend quote a bid for an
> faa system.  they were going for used/refurb because system
> reliability is critical [sounds odd doesn't it?] and they've only
> tested/qualified -this- configuration.  the hardware is mostly eol and
> going for newer hardware would invoke the test cycle all over again.

Agreed, for things like legacy safety-of-flight or nuclear surety.
There's a LOT of testing that goes into that and it's very expensive,
so upgrades are avoided until there's a really good reason to do so.
Unfortunately, the majority of the systems I have to "secure" are
simply systems mired in an old, poorly managed funding and
development cycle with insane lead times and very poor funding.
And of course, the Admiral needs it right now, anyway, so there's no
time to upgrade.
To re-phrase and reiterate, DoD procurement is broken, especially for
IT.

Dave