[rescue] Sun announces DST patch availablity...

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Jan 30 17:34:06 CST 2007

" From: David Muran-de Assereto <dmuran at tuad.org>
"
" On Jan 29, 2007, at 10:59 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
"
" > I support two systems running Solaris 2.6.  These systems cannot be
" > upgraded to Solaris 7 or later.  They cannot be easily replaced by
" > newer systems.  I resent Sun attempting to use the stupidity of our
" > government (which is insulting enough) as a form of punishment.
" >
" > Almost certainly there exist installations where the number of systems
" > stuck at Solaris 2.6 or 7 are far greater than two.
"
" Hallelujah. I have customers still fielding systems running 2.5.1
" because of driver issues with antique hardware.
" Upgrading is too expensive because they'd have to rewrite the whole
" app, since they depend on specific, non-portable capabilities of
" <whatever> device.

if they're preloading the systems, it's entirely possible they could
use the old driver with a newer kernel, though they'd have to hack the
installation script accordingly.

" Government-sponsored development and procurement are severely broken
" for information tech.

there can be other issues.  i just helped a friend quote a bid for an
faa system.  they were going for used/refurb because system
reliability is critical [sounds odd doesn't it?] and they've only
tested/qualified -this- configuration.  the hardware is mostly eol and
going for newer hardware would invoke the test cycle all over again.

one of the items they wanted was spare hds [80G seagate ide] for their
desktop platforms, sb100s iirc.  we suggested that as 20pak bricks are
still available for <$1k new, they oughta stock up...