[rescue] Sun announces DST patch availablity...

David Muran-de Assereto dmuran at tuad.org
Tue Jan 30 16:23:33 CST 2007

On Jan 29, 2007, at 10:59 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>>> As far as I know, yes; hence $400 (per systems!) being unreasonable.
>>
>> But, if you read into it a bit, Sun is offering a special upgrade to
>> Solaris 10 once the tab exceeds $35K...
>
> I support two systems running Solaris 2.6.  These systems cannot be
> upgraded to Solaris 7 or later.  They cannot be easily replaced by
> newer systems.  I resent Sun attempting to use the stupidity of our
> government (which is insulting enough) as a form of punishment.
>
> Almost certainly there exist installations where the number of systems
> stuck at Solaris 2.6 or 7 are far greater than two.

Hallelujah. I have customers still fielding systems running 2.5.1
because of driver issues with antique hardware.
Upgrading is too expensive because they'd have to rewrite the whole
app, since they depend on specific,
non-portable capabilities of <whatever> device.
Government-sponsored development and procurement are severely broken
for information tech.

Dave