[rescue] Sun announces DST patch availablity...

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Mon Jan 29 22:19:04 CST 2007

On Monday 29 January 2007 22:59, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> >> As far as I know, yes; hence $400 (per systems!) being
> >> unreasonable.
> >
> > But, if you read into it a bit, Sun is offering a special upgrade to
> > Solaris 10 once the tab exceeds $35K...
>
> I support two systems running Solaris 2.6.  These systems cannot be
> upgraded to Solaris 7 or later.  They cannot be easily replaced by
> newer systems.  I resent Sun attempting to use the stupidity of our
> government (which is insulting enough) as a form of punishment.
>
> Almost certainly there exist installations where the number of systems
> stuck at Solaris 2.6 or 7 are far greater than two.

At work, we had a box that we finally just decomissioned this month,
which was running Solaris 2.6

It was our HSM system (Running Unitree).  It would have gone away more
than one year ago, if its admin didn't get constantly kicked around by
his management... until he decided to leave for a job as a contractor,
at a job that he's not allowed to say who [which three-letter agency]
he's working for.

We've finally got the system running on a newish IBM p5-570 running AIX
5.2, and managed to fix several bugs in the HSM (now called DXUL, and
owned by EMC), thanks to having a source license, before EMC ever got
back to us regarding the bug reports.  Oh, and it took EMC *months* to
send us a license key after we requested (and paid) for it.

By the way, have I said how much I despise EMC? :)

Pat