[rescue] Sun announces DST patch availablity...

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Mon Jan 29 16:35:09 CST 2007

 Lionel Peterson writes ...

> For Solaris 8, 9, and 10, there are patches available now,
> for solaris 2.5.1, 2.6, or 7, patches will be available for
> $400/server...

Not to do Sun out of the money, which I'm sure they need, but Solaris 7 can
be updated by hand I about 5 minutes.

Since I had several SGIs to update, but only one Sun, I did the Solaris
machine by hand, but the following script works great for IRIX, and could
easily be adapted for Solaris ...

#!/bin/sh
#
# Configure new 2007 DST stuff on IRIX 6.5 - Feature Stream only!
#
# From SGI, via an article on Nekochan, converted to a script by STH
01-23-07

# Backup the "/usr/lib/locale/TZ" directory

mv /usr/lib/locale/TZ /usr/lib/locale/TZ.bak || { echo "Backup failed"; exit
1; }

# Recreate the "/usr/lib/locale/TZ" directory

mkdir /usr/lib/locale/TZ || { echo "mkdir failed"; exit 1; }

# Download the latest "tzdata*" file from the NIH

cd /usr/lib/locale/TZ || { echo "cd failed"; exit 1; }
wget -q --passive-ftp --no-directories ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/tzdata*
|| { echo "wget failed"; exit 1; }

# Unzip and untar it

gunzip tzdata*  || { echo "gunzip failed"; exit 1; }
tar xf tzdata*  || { echo "tar failed"; exit 1; }

# Run the 'zic' command against the particular region you are interested in

zic northamerica || { echo "zic failed"; exit 1; }

# Fix the "/etc/TIMEZONE" file, adding a ":" in
# front of the particular timezone.

cd /etc
cp /etc/TIMEZONE /etc/TIMEZONE.bak
echo "# Timezone information changed on `date`" > /etc/TIMEZONE
echo "# to account for 2007 DST change and use" >> /etc/TIMEZONE
echo "# the Olson system in /usr/lib/locale/TZ" >> /etc/TIMEZONE
echo "TZ=:PST8PDT"                              >> /etc/TIMEZONE

echo "Done.  Reboot the system for changes to take effect"

# END

... All you should have to do for Solaris is check the file and directory
locations, I would think.

-Shel