[rescue] Bad Sectors

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Fri Jan 19 20:27:10 CST 2007

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Fri, 19 Jan 2007 @ 01:55 -0500, Aaron Finley said:
>

>> On 1/19/07, Geoffrey S. Mendelson <gsm at mendelson.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Look very carefully at the drives. Warranties have varied of the last
>>> 5 years from 1 year to 5 years. Sometimes people give you old drives that
>>> still have valid warranties. Most manufacturers will honor the warranties
>>> from the date of manufacturing if you can't prove when you bought it.
>>>
>> I actually have already attempted to utilize that option earlier today
>> (or yesterday here), but since the drives are OEM branded I am out of
>> luck in terms of warranty service.
>>

> I think you should try anyway.
>
> I've returned OEM drives to Seagate and Western Digital. They balked
> a little at first, but I explained that the seller was either
> uncooperative or no longer existed, so I had no other way of getting
> warranty service.

They usually know by serial # who the OEM is.... so you might be able
to say they are uncooperative... but no longer existing they could probably
know whether or not that is true.

But... good to know you can try to 'fight it'...  I've never bothered.

Although... Fujitsu never gave me a problem (the 500M and 1G drives I
previously mentioned were OEMs (I believe out of DG gear)).

> If you really think about it, what is the bloody difference anyway?
>
> All the seller can do is exactly what the end user can do: get and RMA
> and send the drive back.

But the OEM calls the shots... I beleve the OEMs dictate their own warranty
duration.... and usually only deal with stuff on service contract after
a short
period....

I'm surprised you got Seagate to replace an OEM drive... but good to know
if I end up in that situation with a drive valuable to me that I might
need to
try to get them to replace....

-- Curt