[rescue] Bad Sectors

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 19 10:36:00 CST 2007

>From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
>Date: 2007/01/19 Fri AM 01:04:49 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Bad Sectors

>On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 01:55:17AM -0500, Aaron Finley wrote:
>> I actually have already attempted to utilize that option earlier today
>> (or yesterday here), but since the drives are OEM branded I am out of
>> luck in terms of warranty service.
>
>You mean like they say "Compaq" on them, but were made by Seagate?
>They may still help you.
>
>Did you try contacting the OEM? Some of them are good about it, some
>are not.
>
>I know this sounds silly, but if you have 100 bad drives, if they
>give you one, or 5, or 10 for them, it costs them very little,
>and is worth it for the advertising.

OEM drives (typically) are sold by the drive Mfg to the (say) computer Mfg with no warranty - they figure a percentage will fial, and ship an excess of drives to the number purchased to accomodate the anticipated failure rate (i.e. buy 1,000 drives, with a10% failure rate, the drive mfg ships 1,100 drives and will never deal with drives in that lot again).

Most computer mfgs will only warrant a drive as part of a computer system, and the warranty on the drive is limited by the warranty on the entire system. They will not typically entertain warranty requests from parts extracted from their computer systems.

Side note - I was recently amazed at how short some laptop warranties are, I bought a laptop for my folks to do basic email from Dell (their cheapest laptop, bought for price, I will admit) and it came with a 90 day warranty. I had a hard time getting my brain around that brief a warranty...

Lionel