[rescue] ZFS on V100

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Wed Jan 17 15:14:31 CST 2007

On Jan 17, 2007, at 9:20 AM, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> Two partitions.  It is not currently possible to feed the entire disks
> to ZFS for mirroring in a machine with only two disks.
>
>> The work around is ok I suppose, but it it involves using the metadb
>> system, half the reason I immediately ditched RAID in favour of ZFS
>> was so I didn't have to use that...
>
> Well, with any luck I shouldn't have to keep screwing with it.  Or I
> could wait and upgrade to whatever Solaris version comes after 11/06.

I have an AX1105 which is similar to the v100, and running Sol10 update
2, I think.

I had to backup a few gigs of data from the existing ZFS partition, to
a UFS, then delete the ZFS partition and newfs it to UFS.

While I was doing this, I ran "iostat -xnc 5" to see what was going on.

With anything involving ZFS, the CPU would be maxed out at about 11%
idle.  With UFS to UFS, about 36-45 % idle with peaks above 55%, while
moving 15-22MB/second between disks.

This could be due not to ZFS but to the driver bug, but it was still
quite a shocking difference.

Sad that for all the testing ZFS and SPARCs were supposed to receive,
it seems that they didn't do much testing on the IDE or Netra side.

--Patrick