[rescue] Sun mod/hack: lunchbox style with Sun mobo?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 16 07:09:04 CST 2007

>From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
>Date: 2007/01/15 Mon PM 08:58:36 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Sun mod/hack: lunchbox style with Sun mobo?

<snip>

>IIRC, that system is like the Optiplex GX150, and that system does not use an ATX MB, it is more a mini ATX MB, and when installed in a full-size case, has a second circuit borad next to it with additional PCI slots on it. Oh, and at least in the GX150, the PCI slots are "low profile", no conventional PCI cards fit...

The GX100 (which it turns out I have a couple examples of in my spare parts box (they are Celeron 566 MHz systems), and while the MB may or may not be Micro-ATX, they are NOT like the GX150 - these systems have a riser card and accomodate "normal height" PCI cards (two, I think). Also, as a SFF PC, they have a floppy, CD, and HD. The floppy is normal height, so a second HD can be swapped in, if desired.

>A full size ATX MB (like the AXe MB) is actually quite large.

ATX MBs are 12" x 9.6", Micro ATX is 9.6" x 9.6" square - Mini ATX is 11.2" x 8.2" [0] [1]

Lionel

[0] http://www.pcguide.com/ref/case/formMicroATX-c.html

[1] http://www.pcguide.com/ref/case/formATX-c.html