[rescue] Sun mod/hack: lunchbox style with Sun mobo?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Jan 15 21:02:01 CST 2007

>From: Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net>
>Date: 2007/01/15 Mon PM 02:35:36 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Sun mod/hack: lunchbox style with Sun mobo?

>On Jan 15, 2007, at 3:26 PM, Sandwich Maker wrote:
>>
>> not luggable but the closest i can think of is the dell sff case, from
>> at least the gx100 era.  more recent lines have actually had different
>> mbs in different models, but the sff gx100 really had the same mb as
>> the large tower server gx100, so i'm sure it will take an atx - along
>> with a hd, floppy, and cdrom.  and i think it even has 2 pci slots.
>>

>Thanks for the lead on that!  I will check it out.
>
>The main thing is that I feel uncomfortable using a laptop which only
>has 1 drive - if the drive dies, you are in trouble.  I like the idea
>of having a mirrored setup for all data, thus the luggable.

My Dell Inspiron 8100 (PIII 1 GHz laptop) has dual HD capability (you remove the optical drive), and my older Toshiba laptop (PII Tecra 8000) does as well - they are out there, if you keep looking... A strategy would be to look for "2nd drive sled laptop" on eBay...

>> i've always wanted one, and an axe board to stuff into it.
>
>Now is the time, they are plentiful but EOL.

You forgot slow... I have one in a desktop case - the 256K cache is quite a limitation, IMHO, as is the low-end (even by Sun standards) graphics...

Lionel