[rescue] Any Minneapolis area listers ?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Jan 12 09:31:23 CST 2007

Thu, 11 Jan 2007 @ 16:33 +0000, Peter Corlett said:

> On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 10:33:32AM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix
> wrote: [...] > The other part is that PCI isn't very good at more than
> 4 slots, and one > slot at least is usually taken up by motherboard
> components.
>
> And why's that? Because the PC architecture influences PCI IRQs,

No, that's incorrect. PCI was developed originally as a motherboard I/O
bus, and was later drafted into mezzanine duty.

> and PCI's
> four IRQs map 1:1 to PC IRQs.

Only on older motherboards.

All modern PCs for the last 8 years have an IRQ APIC just like almost
all other computers.

> PCI is really just a light layer of 1990s gaffer tape over the
> misdesign of the 80s.

No.

PCI is not very good, but that's not why.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I want this Perl software checked for
viruses.  Use Norton Antivirus." -- Charlie Kirkpatrick]