[rescue] Any Minneapolis area listers ?

Devin Ganger devin at thecabal.org
Thu Jan 11 01:23:08 CST 2007

On 1/10/07 10:46 AM, "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Patrick Finnegan wrote:

>> Hardware raid only adds expense, bugs, slowness, and makes it harder
>> to fix when the raid controller does something stupid.

> I've had exactly the opposite experience.  When I want my storage to
> work (which is, well, usually), I use a hardware RAID controller.  Using
> software RAID only adds bugs (more software layers to fight with),
> slowness (both in actual read/write latency and in consumed CPU time
> per storage transaction), and makes it nearly impossible to fix when the
> OS gets its metadata out of sorts.

I'll ditto to that. The only software RAID that I've used and relied on --
and had that trust repaid -- was Veritas Volume Manager, many years back
when I was herding the Solaris boxes that held the Oracle GIS data for
Seattle City Light.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
Homepage: http://www.thecabal.org/~devin/