[rescue] Any Minneapolis area listers ?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Jan 10 13:17:32 CST 2007

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 08:55:38AM -0600, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> >From: Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk>
> >Date: 2007/01/10 Wed AM 04:58:05 CST
> >To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> >Subject: Re: [rescue] Any Minneapolis area listers ?
>
> <snip>
>
> >The rest of the machine will probably be something like a Core 2 with 2GB of
> >ECC memory. (Notably, it will *not* have a decent graphics card.)
>
> On this list, anything with greater than 256 colors classifies as
> "decent" ;^) Server MBs even have up to 8 MB of on-board RAM for the
> video card these days...

A bunch of servers use Radeon based chips instead of rage, and thus come
with 16+ megs onboard instead of only 8.

At home I use a Compaq 1U server (with ATI Rage graphics) as a linux
workstation and am generally reasonably happy with all but the 3D
performance.  For the particular RAGE chip (or maybe all rage chips in
general, I'm not sure), DRI support is off by default, but a recompile
can turn it back.  I suspect that if I bothered to do that, the 3D
performance would be good enough for quite a lot of things, but I
decided not to bother.  I do run Blender on that computer, but only to
load a file and render it.  I couldn't see leaving the older linux
workstation on and running most of the time when I seldom got around to
doing anything that would warrant the faster graphics card.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/