[rescue] Any Minneapolis area listers ?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 10 08:50:27 CST 2007

>From: Meelis Roos <mroos at linux.ee>
>Date: 2007/01/10 Wed AM 01:26:26 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Any Minneapolis area listers ?

>> Whee! If they really need 2 TB, I'd suggest 4x 750 GB SATA drives in a
>> RAID5 array on a reasonable MB/CPU combo with decent built-in HW SATA
>> RAID (Like the Supermicro PDSGE with a 775 pin CPU of some kind)...
>
>As per http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/PD/955/PDSGE.cfm
>the PDSGE has no SATA RAID, just simple ICH7R SATA (3 Gbps) controller.
>It can be used via vendor software RAID but it's usually better to just
>use the software RAID of your operating system.
>
>Using SATA RAID seems a good idea in this case but what ypu offered is
>just software RAID.

If you check below the summary at the top of the page, you'll see that this MB has the ICH-7R chipset, which supports RAID 0, 1, and 5. Just go down to detailed specifications toward the bottom of the page...

I have built a few (2 dozen?) machines using this controller, and to take advantage of the on-board RAID, you have to load a RAID controller driver from _floppy_ when installing Win Server 2003.

Lionel