[rescue] Any Minneapolis area listers ?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Jan 10 04:58:05 CST 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 11:46:45PM -0600, Lionel Peterson wrote:
[...]
> But going above 4 drives makes the on-board RAID inadequate, and you'll
> need to add a RAID controller (at considerable expense for a good
> controller).

On-board RAID is generally not a good controller. It's probably going to be
software RAID that the BIOS and the Windows driver recognises. Linux (or
*BSD or whatever) will just see the individual disks.

My plan for my own Big Fileserver is six disks of whatever is the sweet spot
at the time, two each from three different manufacturers, and then put Linux
md RAID6 over the lot. Since the sweet spot is liable to be 500GB by the
time I get round to building that beast, that'll give me a nice round 2TB.
It'll probably involve one or two PCI SATA controllers depending on how many
SATA ports are on the motherboard and whether they're any good.

The rest of the machine will probably be something like a Core 2 with 2GB of
ECC memory. (Notably, it will *not* have a decent graphics card.)