[rescue] Any Minneapolis area listers ?

Clemson, Chris Chris.Clemson at softwareag.co.uk
Wed Jan 10 03:09:53 CST 2007

> This is a good start but more spindles is better.  Besides
> being faster,

To a point, Don't more spindles actually lower the MTBF for the system?

> it will save you more money.  Just looking at newegg.com...
>
> 750GB SATA drives $339.99 ea. = $0.45 per GB

Compared to SCSI system, even 750gb drives are very affordable, surely?
Personnally I'd buy the biggest drives available, as you're bound to fill them
up sooner or later and 750's are likely to be purchaseable for a lot longer
than a smaller drive. I've got 3 (non-raided) in various systems, and although
they get rather warm, they've been perfectly reliable so far.

Someone else suggested going for software RAID.
Unless you really have to, I'd stay away from software RAID - I've found it's
more hassle than it's worth.
Especially as you can get SATA RAID controllers for ~#300.

Chris