[rescue] some stuff I'm trying to find

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Jan 8 13:53:01 CST 2007

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 10:59:41AM -0800, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> There's still a complicaton, though, IIRC.  I remember readint that you
> could only have two cards in there, even though there are four slots.  I
> can't remember the details, though, like whether this is two EISA plus two
> GIO64, or what.  Definitely something to look into before buying the bits,
> though.

I could swear that I've seen machines with High Impact, Digital Video,
and either UW or FC-AL.  But, I can't find any references to back that
up at the moment.

> A upper-end Octane might be better.  You're limited to two processors, but
> the memory is a lot faster than that in an ONYX.  I don't know about the
> graphics, comparitively, but I'd expect the top-spec Octane graphics to do
> about anything that needs doing.  While an Octane is a little bigger,
> louder, and hotter than your garden-variety PC, it's not anything like a
> deskside ONYX.

I have a modest Octane (R12k 300, 640megs, SI+SETRAM).  I used to run it
in my living room, but it has been mostly off for awhile since I got the
E250 because I was concerned about over stressing things in the small
room with poor power.

I'm hoping once I have a house to put in my office a small noise
dampened rack containing whatever quietish machines go in the office,
with the rest being either headless in the basement or else being in the
basement on console extenders.

Of course, I will probably never get things worked out the way I wish to.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/