[rescue] some stuff I'm trying to find

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Mon Jan 8 12:59:41 CST 2007

Saith Joshua Boyd ...
> On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 08:22:56AM -0800, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> >
> > If you have Max Impact graphics, however, you only have one
> > open slot for any sort of add-in.
> >
> > Of course, if you mentioned this problem to your SGI rep,
> > he'd tell you he
> > had a fix.  He'd offer to trade you up to an ONYX.
>
> That's why my dream I2 would have a 4meg High Impact card
> instead of Max Impact.

There's still a complicaton, though, IIRC.  I remember readint that you
could only have two cards in there, even though there are four slots.  I
can't remember the details, though, like whether this is two EISA plus two
GIO64, or what.  Definitely something to look into before buying the bits,
though.

> An Onyx would also be nice.  I don't have a place to run one
> currently,
> and I'm starting to think that the first house I buy might
> not be as big
> machine friendly as I'd like.  Although, I'd still be willing
> to take a
> shot at setting up an Onyx in a basement with a console
> extender running to an office.

A upper-end Octane might be better.  You're limited to two processors, but
the memory is a lot faster than that in an ONYX.  I don't know about the
graphics, comparitively, but I'd expect the top-spec Octane graphics to do
about anything that needs doing.  While an Octane is a little bigger,
louder, and hotter than your garden-variety PC, it's not anything like a
deskside ONYX.

On the other hand, a fully-fitted _rack_ ONYX is a whole 'nother thang.
Big?  Check.  Loud?  Eh?  How'zat?  Oh, yeah.  Check.  Hot?  Trade in your
furnace!

-Shel