[rescue] AX1105 (Netra X1-alike) booting from cdrom problems...

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Sun Jan 7 00:00:14 CST 2007

On Jan 6, 2007, at 7:19 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> Would like to have some help from the list on this.  Have spent way too
> much time on this already, and apparently Sun no longer has any info
> about this motherboard on their site (unless you pay them).
>
> The problem I have is that I am not able to get known-good CDROMs or
> DVDROM drives to be seen by the on-board IDE controller.

The mistake I made was in assuming that even a CDROM from an Ultra5
would work in this AX1105 board.  My guess is that since the mobo was
designed for OEM integration, the base OBP etc. is pretty barebones or
was not tested against as many peripherals.

After buying a spare DVDROM drive and putting it in my PC running
Solaris 10, then running setup_install_server and add_install_client,
then net booting the system, everything *appears* to be installing
properly.

And now, I can netboot-and-install any sun4u box I want, which is a
nice bonus.

--Patrick